We’ve had some really weird kind of heatwave in Manchester the past week so I’ve been trying to make the most of it since all I usually see is rain! It’s funny how at the first sign of sun everyone in the UK strips off and acts like they’re strolling the streets of Barbados! I mean it was much hotter than we usually get to experience, but not that hot! Lol. Anyway this hot weather made me think I need to update my wardrobe in time for summer. I like to buy things from independent labels in the US and one of my faves is by my fashion idol, Vashtie Kola. I realised I’ve never done a post on my love for her so here it is! For those of you who don’t know, Vashtie is a video director, artist, blogger, designer, you name it she does it. And she’s literally the coolest girl in the world. Here’s a brief summary of why.
1. First of all she’s the ONLY girl to have ever done a collaboration with Nike Air Jordan 2’s. Any fan’s of Jordan’s will realise the importance of this. Her collaboration between them and her fashion line Violette produced the most beautiful trainers I’ve ever seen. AND they’re lilac. Which is my favourite colour, so what more could I want in a shoe. Not managed to get my hands on these beauties yet as you can’t get them in the U.K anymore but I’m working on it.
2. Her unique style. For those who know me, you know I’m not really a “girly girl” at all, I def prefer trainers to heels, and I’m into the sporty look rather than the sexy look. This is why Vashtie is my ultimate fashion icon. She dresses like a boy. But still manages to be the sexiest girl in the room. That’s some achievement. She describes her style as;
“Part ’90s alterna-girl, part classic tomboy, part downtown debutante with a dash of thug.”
As a self confessed tomboy, she states that the most important part of fashion to her is being comfortable. To be honest, with a face like hers, she could really get away with dressing like a tramp and still end up lookin mad beautiful. She can thank her heritage for her exotic looks, which come from her East Indian and Afro-Trinidadian background. She also has this amazingggggg hair. Hair I’d cut off my right arm for.
3. Her extensive CV. She’s probably one of the most respected females in music right now, and not just because she’s never gone down the video hoe route, despite her sex appeal. She was the first to refer to herself as KING, (take note Beyonce fans) a way of confirming to the males she’s running things. She’s directed videos for artists such as Rihanna, Kid Cudi, Solange Knowles, Kendrick Lamar and *screams* JUSTIN BIEBER! She was called into Def Jam Records in 2006 to revamp the company. Antonio “LA” Reid, president of Def Jam, said she would be “the one to keep the building cool, someone in tune with downtown cool and pop mainstream.” She also runs an iconic club night called 1992 which is of the best 90’s hip-hop nights in NYC.
Vashtie is also a designer and has her own streetwear line, Violette NY. The reason I started writing this post is because I just bought one of the new tees from the site. The line is laid back and sporty, as Vashtie says, “Imagine if Louis Vuitton had a daughter living in the Lower East Side – she’d be rocking a luxury handbag and a fly pair of kicks. Her wardrobe would consist of rare designer items and delicate vintage pieces. With superb style that is effortless and uncontrived, she starts trends without thinking. The harmony of contrasts is a distinction of her true sense of fashion.” VIOLETTE is currently carried at specialty boutiques across the globe like Colette (Paris), Essence (Yokohama, Japan), and Fruition (Las Vegas) Here’s the tee I just bought, it was only $40 dollars, so cheap! Really simple design but will look good with high waisted leggings, shorts etc for summer.
4. To top it off she’s also a talented photographer and artist. Put simply, the girl’s got it all , beauty, talent and most importantly, brains. That’s what separates her from all the other “role models” out there today and that’s the reason why she’s one of my biggest inspiration’s.
5. On a final note, she has the dopest website ever! Check it out at www.vashtie.com
You can shop the Violette collection online at: http://shop.violettenewyork.com/
Follow Vashtie on Twitter @Vashtie
& don’t forget to follow me too 😉 @SYSelcuk